Across the Great 58 community colleges of North Carolina, the 2017 Fall semester is quickly coming to an end. Here are some important reminders for NCMATYC.
- Just 97 days left till the 2018 conference. Have you registered and booked your hotel?
- Today is the due date to submit a presentation. Remember, you can submit a 20, 45, or a 100 minute presentation. This is our 30th anniversary; let’s pack it full with plenty of amazing professional development.
- Please consider nominating yourself to be a candidate for the upcoming NCMATYC board elections. Send us an email about what position you would want to run. Thanks!
- Teacher of Excellence Awards are due 12/22. We have many, many awesome educators, so let’s make sure they get recognized.
NCMATYC had a strong representation at the annual AMATYC conference in San Diego. One big push from AMATYC is the new document IMPACT (http://www.amatyc.org/mpage/IMPACT). The document is still a rough draft and they need us to be giving feedback. Group notes from the AMATYC conference is here https://goo.gl/CLP68d and pictures & conversations can be found in the Slack channel #amatyc-conference.
Special thanks to Forsyth Tech CC and Chris Mansfield, who have been an integral part of putting together the NCMATYC Mathematics Competition this weekend. We have a record amount of students participating!
The deadline to submit presentations for the 2018 NCMATYC conference is December 1st. Remember that you can choose a 20, 45, or 100 minute session. Conference registration and hotel booking are also available.
Teacher of Excellence nominations are due 12/22/17.
Continue to colLABorate with the Great 58!
The end of October is just around the corner. Be sure to stay connected with the great events in November.
- Going to the AMATYC conference? Be sure to share and connect in the #amatyc-conference channel.
- Register by November 3rd for the NCMATYC Mathematics Competition at Forsyth Tech.
- Got ideas to share? Questions to ask? Post them in NCMATYC Slack and think about presenting them at the 30th NCMATYC Conference. Submission to present are due December 1st.
- Important changes are on the horizon for developmental mathematics. Have you heard about Dev Ed 2.0 – R.I.S.E.? Join the discussion to ask questions and give feedback in #dma-general.
- Great sharing about the recent NC3ADL conference took place in #distance-learning.
- #mat152 has been the most popular channel in October but many other course channels show great colLABoration. Take a moment to read and offer an emoji to the posts in NCMATYC Slack.
And just like that we are almost half way through another semester. Check out these items.
- NCMATYC is raising money for a TexMATYC member who was selected to present at the AMATYC conference but their school no longer has travel funds because of Harvey. 🙁 Donate via https://tinyurl.com/y97a9p2h
- We have awarded 16 travel grants for the 2018 NCMATYC conference! To earn that money the people are participating in NCMATYC Slack for at last 40 minutes a month. Visit Slack and see all of the great colLABoration.
- We need nominations for the 2017 AMATYC President Scholarship. Use this link https://goo.gl/forms/TEQNW8EVeWJySdy92
- Mathematics Competition will be at Forsyth Tech 11/18. November 3rd is the due date for early registration.
- Hotel reservations for 2018 conference can be made either online or by phone.
- Elections for the new NCMATYC Board will be in February. Please be consider running for a position.
Thanks so much for your participation with NCMATYC.
Many community colleges are starting their Fall Semester this week. Take a moment in NCMATYC Slack to share one great thing you did / will do for the 1st day of classes. While you are in NCMATYC Slack, check out the channels for the courses you are teaching. Don’t wait; communicate, and colLABorate!
Hotel reservations are now open for the NCMATYC conference. The hotel is ocean front and rooms are less than $70 a night! More information is here.
Turn in your travel grant ASAP!
- AMATYC Travel Grant: $1000 towards the 2017 AMATYC Conference at San Diego. Click here for more details
- NCMATYC Travel Grant: Up to $150 and free conference registration for the 2018 NCMATYC conference. Click here for more details.