NCMATYC is an organization of mathematics instructors from across the state of North Carolina (see our Constitution). Please have a look around the site. We provide you with all the information you need about our organization from the Membership Application to our Organizational Objectives. People can contact the board by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- To establish and maintain channels of communication among teachers of mathematics at two-year colleges
- To promote communication and cooperation among two-year college mathematics instructors and other mathematics educators;
- To encourage the development of effective mathematics courses;
- To improve the mathematics-related experiences of two-year college students and instructors;
- To encourage local efforts to achieve excellence in mathematics education;
- To promote the professional development and welfare of its members.
NCMATYC grew out of an informal discussion at a workshop near Asheboro. A more formal discussion was held at the 1986 Instructors Conference. An informal organization, the North Carolina Community College Mathematics Teachers (NC3MT), was formed. A steering committee composed of David Heatherly, Rob Kimball, Bob Porterfield, Mike Schachter, Wilfred Turner, and Betty Vestal formed. The committee formed goals and began the process of formalizing the organization. The name, North Carolina Mathematics Association of Two-Year Colleges, was proposed to better describe the organization. Formal ties with NCCTM and AMATYC were established. NCMATYC was incorporated on August 25, 1993. The constitution was formally adopted on Oct. 17, 1988 and the first officers elected. The officers were as follows:
- President – Rob Kimball
- President Elect – Mike Schachter
- Treasure – Betty Vestal
- Secretary – Ric Sexton
- Vice Presidents – Grace Foster, Bob Maynard, and Ed Barrier.