2017 Award Opportunities
NCMATYC has three awards for this school year, (1) the Mathematics Excellence Award, (2) the NCMATYC Travel Awards and (3) the 2016 NCMATYC Nominee for AMATYC Presidential Student Award.
1. Mathematics Excellence Award – Nominations are due by December 19th, 2016.
The Mathematics Excellence Award (ME Award)is intended for educators who have made outstanding contributions to mathematics or mathematics education at the two-year college. The criteria for the award are as follows: statewide reputation, leadership and activities in professional organizations, professional talks and presentations, awards and grants received, publications, professional activities on a regional and state scale, teaching expertise and other contributions to mathematics and/or mathematics education. This award has a cash prize, a plaque commemorating the award, and recognition at the 2017 NCMATYC and the 2018 AMATYC conference! Nominate a colleague by completing these tasks.(1) Fill out the application form: https://goo.gl/aAzerx
(2) Nominee’s résumé or vita must not exceed 3 pages. Pages in excess of 3 pages will not be distributed to the committee.
(3) One letter of support of the nominee.The winner of the award will then need two more letters of support to be submitted to AMATYC: One letter from an NCMATYC member and one from outside of our region. Letters of support that elaborate on qualities described in the resume or highlight additional exemplary characteristics of the nominee are more helpful to the committee than letters that reiterate items mentioned in the resume. In an effort to compare all candidates on the same basis, any additional materials submitted will not be considered. Incomplete nominations will not be considered.Materials (application, resume, and one letter of nomination) must be emailed to NCMATYC (firstname.lastname@example.org) as a PDF document with “Mathematics Award” as subject. All letters require a signature. Electronic signatures are acceptable.
2. NCMATYC Travel Awards: Applications are due by December 9th, 2016.
If lack of funding is prohibiting you from attending the conference, then you may apply for a travel grant from NCMATYC. This year the Travel Awards will require the recipients to attend the Pre-Conference workshop on March 8th and well as the conference on March 9th and March 10th. You can receive up to the amount needed to cover the hotel and registration for attending the conference. For details on how to apply please see: https://goo.gl/cEjsLB
3. 2016 NCMATYC Nominee for AMATYC Presidential Student Award: Nominees are due by October 13, 2016
The purpose of the AMATYC Student Scholarship is to encourage the study of mathematics by students enrolled in institutions of higher education. Each affiliate may submit one nomination from a student attending a qualifying institution. To be a qualifying institution, the institution must employ at least one member in good standing of AMATYC. The student must be nominated by an AMATYC member who is an employee of the qualifying institution. The student must have an overall GPA of at least 3.0. The nominated students must be majoring in mathematics and enrolled full-time at the nominating institution during the spring semester preceding the Annual AMATYC conference when the award will be announced. Nomination for is at https://goo.gl/forms/DNriXfKZW3dCozJn2